Monday, March 9, 2009

Is this actually an epitaph


Okay so first post out of the blocks....Digger!! As some of you know I am a huge lifelong NASCAR fan, I have grown up on the sport and it is something that I can always count on to fire me up in great ways and heartbreaking ways. The sport has worked hard over the years to break ground in many different ways to reach out to all demographics. Now I suppose in order to secure the fan base for the future of the sport, NASCAR has decided to focus on the toddler to 10 year old age bracket...So I tune in the tv on sunday get settled in to watch a battle on the race track and instead I get a CGI gopher taking on another CGI gopher in some ridiculous dueling banjo type scene. I mean seriously has NASCAR got to the point where an animated gopher based on a track camera is the next big thing. Perhaps the contempt for the poor little Digger is just an unfortunate biproduct of my dislike for races these days starting at 3:00 or later, in order to have prerace concerts by Keith Urban or Gavin Rossdale or whoever they want to trot out there. I love concerts but not when Im there to watch a race. I understand the need to appeal to the masses but sometimes I think they do things that alienate the fanbase that has been there all these years....I can get very indepth will my thought process behind this post but this is just a taste of what it is being KennyKen!!! more to come

3 comments:

  1. I was trying to post a pic of Homer "Jumping the shark", but for some reason, it won't let me - but you get the idea


    http://www.duffgardens.net/content/editorials/img/shark.gif

    And a captcha - seriously?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's what happens when you take a niche sport and try to "broaden" the fan base. Look at the moves in recent years. They've moved races out of the south, made them more TV friendly with prime time races and west-coast friendly afternoon starts. I am afraid the Digger issues will only get worse as the sport continues to alienate their original fans an branch out to corporate America... if this continues we may even see Digger in the White House.

    ReplyDelete