Tuesday, April 7, 2009

American "Idle" and my head

-Its your boy KennyKen and I thought tonight I would just come out firing on all kinds of beliefs and one liners,observations....I'm just gonna throw stuff against the wall see what sticks, what people hate, who wants to get confrontational or praise me so away we go. First off American "Idle" is a tired retread every single week, I think prime time karaoke has run its course and is mildly amusing at best and people watch it now who hopelessly live vicariously through teenagers or people that are such posers to any self respecting person that could never buy there act (Adam Lambert),Does he have talent? Yes. Does that make him the god that millions make him out to be? No! Besides he has already made it in the cast of Wicked in L.A. so he should be that good and polishedTo be fair I used to watch this show all the time. It was a novelty and innovative in the realm of reality tv for years but tuning in to see people give a blind man with a marginal voice a free pass because of his condition is ridiculous. I get it he can't see that doesn't mean he should sell records. He is no Stevie Wonder or Andrea Bocelli. All that said I do like Allison Iraheta, to me she represents what the show was originally based on.
-In watching the Cyclones again this year it reminds me just how much fun sports can be to watch when done right. Im sure it helps that I have loved hockey since my childhood and had the opportunity to play some growing up, but, the Cincinnati Cyclones embody the aspects that every franchise should aspire to in attracting a loyal fanbase. Reasonable ticket prices $10, despite the somewhat violent nature of the sport it is a family friendly atmosphere given that on any given night a family of four can go on promotional nights and check in well under $100 try that at a baseball or football game even movies have started to get out of hand. They work to provide constant giveaways even under the constraints of a minor league budget. The intermissions are filled with events to keep the fans engaged in the evening, and on top of it all they are a great team beginning a repeat run to the championship...get out and try a game.
and now just a few things to spit out
-I think the metal plates road crews put down are in some cases as bad as pot holes and just excuses to not finish the job.
-NO ONE is as pc as they claim to be, we all have our prejudices
-Country Music speaks in plain language and pound for pound has some of the best writing
-Your Mom jokes will always be funny and get a laugh (in the proper company)
-RENT is the most complete musical every written
-It doesn't get any better than this may be the most agreeable phrase in the world. It just doesnt get any better than saying or hearing that, it just means good times
-I think everyone should be a bit selfish lest you short change yourself, complete selflessness is not healthy
-Disney kids may be robots as per the onion but I still like it
-Most people can't handle the concept of making a turn at more than 5 mph
-How does one aquire a taste for something...if you hate it originally how do you end up loving it
-Does it ever seem weird that alot of us like living with animals in our homes,(I have a dog and a cat)
-drinks are more enjoyable out of a bottle, beer out of a clear bottle
-friends are alot of times people you feel bad for disliking many things about and love them anyway (ouch)...it was total random thought but Im gonna stick with it
-all boys all inherently major tools when they are between 6-12.
-millions of people myself included for intents and purposes would stop existing without cell phones and internet

10 comments:

  1. Jesus was completely selfless - just sayin'.

    I have had many of these same thoughts myself, and I agree with so many that I will not point them out individually - but I like where you are going (even though we are now blogging in a similar format :))

    I cannot agree with you on the country music front, although I will agree it uses plain language . . .

    You learn to love things by constantly trying them, again and again. I used to hate onions, hoppy beers, and baseball, just to name a few. These leads to the question: Why would you keep trying something you to hate? I could not answer this, except for myself, which is to say, I am so happy I have more variety in food, beer, and life, and that, to me, is a great thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay I think I may strike a nerve with this but we will just see....I am not saying that all country music is written well and other genres aren't but I submit this "waiting on a woman"...what guy in thinking about his sweetheart hasn't dealt with it exactly this,makes sense
    Sittin' on a bench at West Town Mall
    He sat down in his overalls and asked me
    ''You waitin' on a woman?''
    I nodded yeah and said, ''How 'bout you?''
    He said, ''Son since nineteen fifty-two I've been
    Waitin' on a woman.''

    When I picked her up for our first date
    I told her I'd be there at eight
    And she came down the stairs at eight-thirty
    She said, ''I'm sorry that I took so long
    Didn't like a thing that I tried on.''
    But let me tell you son she sure looked pretty
    Yeah, she'll take her time but I don't mind
    Waitin' on a woman.

    He said, ''The wedding took a year to plan
    You talk about an anxious man, I was nervous
    Waitin' on a woman.''
    And then he nudged my arm like old men do
    And said, ''I'll say this about the honeymoon, it was worth it
    Waitin' on a woman.''

    And I don't guess we've been anywhere
    She hasn't made us late I swear
    Sometimes she does it just 'cause she can do it
    Boy it's just a fact of life
    It'll be the same with your young wife
    Might as well go on and get used to it
    She'll take her time 'cause you don't mind
    Waitin' on a woman.

    I've read somewhere statistics show
    The man's always the first to go
    And that makes sense 'cause I know she won't be ready
    So when it finally comes my time
    And I get to the other side
    I'll find myself a bench, if they've got any
    I hope she takes her time, 'cause I don't mind
    Waitin' on a woman.

    Honey, take your time, cause I don't mind
    Waitin' on a woman...

    and now
    Occident, out on the weekend
    That's the way that we relax
    English breakfast tastes like Darjeeling
    But she's too cute to even ask

    Blake's got a new face (Blake's got a new face)
    Blake's got a new face (Blake's got a new face)
    Blake's got a new face (Blake's got a new face)
    Blake's got a new face (Blake's got a new face)

    Nastiness will cause your doom
    Turn and walk back to your room

    The precedent's already set now
    You spend a week in old San Juan
    Spanish brownstone with chairs of leather
    And Spanish waves to roll along

    Blake's got a new face (Blake's got a new face)
    Blake's got a new face (Blake's got a new face)
    Blake's got a new face (Blake's got a new face)
    Blake's got a new face (Blake's got a new face)

    Majesty's not overheard
    Cryptographs can't stand the word

    Blake's got a new face (Blake's got a new face)
    Blake's got a new face (Blake's got a new face)
    Blake's got a new face (Blake's got a new face)
    Blake's got a new face (Blake's got a new face)

    Oh, your collegiate grief
    Has left you dowdy in sweatshirts
    Absolute horror

    to me no clue what that was about.But this rasises another point that there really is no way to prove if something is written well or not,it harkens back to a previous post, if it rings with some I suppose the lyrics are great and not so much to those who dont like it so everything is just a matter of taste...this can turn much deeper than I thought but individual perception and taste can prove or disprove anything

    ReplyDelete
  3. anything that isn't concrete that is

    ReplyDelete
  4. Would you rather listen to a song that has great music and crappy lyrics, or crappy music and great lyrics? What makes a song a song is the music - not the lyrics. Great lyrics without great music is just poetry set to noise. Music can exist without lyrics, but lyrics without music aren't truly a song. How many songs do you love that you cannot sing every word to? I would venture a lot. Thats why, we often mishear lyrics. (one example would be Jimi Hendrix's "Purple Haze" - where many people thought he was saying "'scuse me, while I kiss this guy" where in reality those are not the real words - all this to say, they loved the song anyway, not even knowing what the words really were)

    And thats not to say I don't appreciate great lyrics - but sometimes I can love a song, even if the words are not saying much of anything

    ReplyDelete
  5. same thing holds true though...I think the music frames those songs well...you don't I happen to like alot of the music that frames other genres but the lyrics completely sound like nonsense in alot of cases...once again personal taste can prove or disprove anything

    ReplyDelete
  6. personal taste can also be a cop out for not wanting to discuss or debate issues, or even acknowledge when someone makes a good point :)

    but you are right - if you view all art as subjective, and I don't - its senseless to debate

    ReplyDelete
  7. And I came across as sounding superior, and that was not my intent - I really just meant to acknowledge, as you had, this debate will go nowhere

    ReplyDelete
  8. doesn't it almost have to be subjective, especially in visual art, Obviously sitting down and banging on a piano with no form or chord structure is not art in anyway there are things on display in museums that are non sensical brush strokes that are exhalted,alot of abstract art seems very rudementary but gains critical acclaim, again as we have both said this argument can go nowhere fast. I can claim something as good as give reasons but you can not lack it and give reasons why it isn't art..and use the cop out theory as a basis for why it isn't subjective...art forms are very personal to each individual and I suppose thats what makes them all great in their own medium

    ReplyDelete
  9. How about if Adam Lambert sings a great song...does it still suck :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can claim something as good as give reasons but you can not lack it and give reasons why it isn't art..and use the cop out theory as a basis for why it isn't subjective...art forms are very personal to each individual and I suppose thats what makes them all great in their own medium

    Thats actually continuing the debate, cause I don't see it that way, but . . .

    I actually think a great song is a great song, pretty much no matter who sings it - some great songs have been sung by horrible (not great) singers - Neil Diamond, late Tony Bennett, Linkin Park, etc.

    ReplyDelete